Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pear I and Pear II



I did something a little different with my latest painting....I mean, paintings. I wanted to create a painting to possibly enter (if it came out good) in the Sonoran Arts League Small Works show. Paintings for this show are limited to a maximum size of 35 sq. inches. I set up a still life using a pear with rich red and orange gold colors. Once I set it up and took some photos I decided I would really like to add it to my upcoming open studio tour. So I painted two paintings of the pear in two different sizes ( 7 x 5 and 12 x 9) at the same time. I did the two backgrounds at the same time and then moved to the pears. They came out pretty much the same except for the scalloped edges of the cloth they are setting on.....not sure how that happened....but I ran with it. What made it even more interesting was that I painted them on two different pastel papers. Pear II (the 7 x 5) is painted on UArt paper in 400 grit. Pear I (the 12 x 9) is painted on Wallis paper. I found myself becoming very aware of the difference in the two papers. The Wallis paper has a coarser texture with a touch of variety in the texture across the paper. The UArt was very consistent and felt finer even though it is the coarsest grit they offer. I found I leaned towards the UArt....although I certainly plan to continue using Wallis. Here are the two paintings on the easel, then Pear I (12 x 9) and last is Pear II (7 x 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment