Sunday, November 14, 2010

Breaking the Rule with "A Pair of Pears"


My last two paintings, "A Pear of Reds" and "A Pair of Pears" break one of the basic rules of composition. The rule is that there should an odd numbers of objects in a composition. In the first painting, "A Pear of Reds", I flat out forgot this rule as I played with my setup of the pears I was so enthralled with to get one I liked. In fact I did not even realize it until I was in the middle of this second painting, "A Pair of Pears". Oops!!! At least I caught my own mistake (I comforted myself with this thought). Then I decided I liked the two paintings for the color and the warmth.....so I am not going to try to change them......I am going to consciously break the rule. That's what rules are for.....right??? I plan to have them as part of my display of paintings for sale at the upcoming Hidden in the Hills Open Studio Tour. I wonder what visitors will think of them. It is going to be fun to see what the comments are......I will let you know! Here is "A Pair of Pears".

No comments:

Post a Comment