Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hidden in the Hills Reflections

Well, my second Hidden in the Hills Open Studio Tour is now under my belt. After a day of breakdown and couple of days of rest I can look back and reflect on this year's event.
First and foremost is how happy I was to be in an indoor setting this year! I had a great time at the studio I was at last year....but I was outdoors on a back patio. I took my art down each night and worried about wind and rain each day. I lucked out last year in that I only had rain at the very end of two of the days while I was removing my art. This year the Sunday of the first weekend was on and off rain all day. There were a couple of good downpours and even a little wind. The Sunday of the second weekend was very cold and windy....yes, even in Arizona we get some cold fronts that come through. I was very glad I wore tights under my jeans and brought my gloves! Both weekends I would have been desperately protecting my art if I was still in an outside setting! Thank you Toni for inviting me to be a part of your studio with an indoor setting!!
My second reflection is one that is very gratifying to me as a pastel artist. With only a couple of exceptions, my visitors were all familiar with pastel as a medium. This is a big change from past years where I spent a lot of time explaining what pastels are and how they are used. I even had people coming into my booth and saying "Oh, I love pastels!". Definitely gratifying! It follows the resurgence of the popularity of pastels both nationally and internationally that is occurring.
A third reflection is how much I enjoy talking with people about my art. Although festivals and open studios are a lot of work, the opportunity to talk with people about my art makes it all well worthwhile.
A final reflection is how much I learn spending long periods of time with fellow artists in an art setting. We share strategies and resources for making art and marketing our art. I learned last year with the folks I was with and again this year. Fellow artists are so generous with their knowledge and experience....it is truly a great group of people to be a part of!
Well, I am already thinking about modifications of my presentation for next year and how I will use what I learned for my next art festival which is the Sonoran Arts League Fine Art Festival at Stagecoach Village in Cave Creek in February. I am hoping for great weather and lots of folks to share my art with!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being such a great studio buddy Karen! We had fun and I learned a lot from you as well. I hope we can do it all again next year.

    ReplyDelete