Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ripe Strawberries



I have been working on a 24 x 18 painting of a still life setup that is giving me problems. I conferred with a painting buddy who gave me some insights and made me think about the piece. I think I have decided what to do to fix it....but also decided I needed some time away from it to let my ideas "percolate" a little more. I set it on an easel at one end of my studio to look at every now and then. In the meantime I decided to paint a piece that I have had waiting in the wings. I decided to do this piece in a smaller format and ended up with a 9 x 12 size. The blue towel was fun to do but the strawberries took a little longer than I thought they would. I wanted them to be painted in warm, luscious colors. As a result I struggled with the highlights....what color to use for the highlights. I ended up using a light warm yellow and then an almost white warm yellow for the final highlights to get the look I was after. Enjoy "Ripe Strawberries"!

No comments:

Post a Comment